Tuesday, April 22, 2014

APPLESAUCE NUT BREAD

I am finding quite a few recipes to try from that little apple-shaped cookbook I bought recently at an estate sale called the big fat red juicy Apple Cook Book.  This time it is Applesauce Nut Bread.

Tax season is winding down at Fort Leavenworth but there are still some volunteers still showing up daily and so, at least for a little bit longer, I have an outlet for my baked goods.  This recipe for Applesauce Nut Bread sounded good so I decided to give it a try. Instead of making it in several mini loaves, I went on and made it in a larger loaf pan and just made one loaf.  I just cut the slices in half so they wouldn't be too big.  I also used unsweetened applesauce. It will probably be sweeter if you used sugar-added applesauce.  I just always try to reduce calories as much as I can. Either way, it just taste really good to me....real nutty.

Remember if you want to print the recipe using the print friendly button at the bottom of this post, it will give you the option to remove the images.  When I started this blog, I wanted to include lots of pictures for clarity.  I have received several comments from friends telling me they liked the pictures.  Friend Carol voiced her desire for me to add a print option so she didn't have to print all the pictures and use so much printer ink.  I finally did add the print friendly button and like that it allows the user to remove the images.



APPLESAUCE NUT BREAD

2       cups flour
3/4    cup sugar
3       teaspoons baking powder
1       teaspoon salt
1/2    teaspoon baking soda
1/2    teaspoon cinnamon
1       egg
1       cup applesauce (unsweetened)
2       tablespoons canola oil
1       cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.   Spray loaf pan with cooking spray.


Beat egg in a large bowl with whisk.


Add the applesauce and oil.


Combine the dry ingredients and nuts in a medium bowl with a whisk.


Add the dry ingredients and nuts to the applesauce mixture. 


Stir just til combined. (Mixture will be thick.)


Pour (or I should say "dump") into loaf pan spreading out evenly in pan.


Bake for one hour.


Cool in pan on wire rack.


Sprinkle with powdered sugar when completely cool.  (I wrapped my loaf in foil and left overnight and then sprinkled with powdered sugar the next morning before I cut it.) 


Cut into half slices ready for my husband to take to share with the other volunteers in the tax office.


He said they liked it.  Several commented that it wasn't real sweet and they liked it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment